Good morning, friends! (Yes, it’s still morning… barely!) We’ve gotten some interesting winter weather in the DC area over the past couple days, so I’m home for a second straight day and after going on a cleaning/organizing spree yesterday, I figured I’d spend some time thinking about and updating the blog today! I’d say it’s our second “snow day” but we barely got any snow, haha – yesterday was probably kind of a “snow day” because even a little causes awful traffic problems in this area, but today is more of a “cold day” because of the ridiculously low wind chills. Either way, I’ll take it – I hate being cold, so I will gladly accept any excuse to stay indoors in the winter! Plus, I am coming down with some sort of sickness and the days off saved me from teaching while sick (which sucks) or spending several hours figuring out sub plans (which sucks more).
I know I have some readers who know me in person, others who know me via the internet, and some who don’t know me at all other than through the blog. Because of that, I figured I would come up with some random facts about me that you may or may not know! If you are weird like me, let me know in the comments!
- My favorite sport is hockey, and I had Washington Capitals season tickets for 10 years. I met some of my absolute favorite people through the Caps community, so although I gave them WAY too much of my money over the years, I am thankful that I made that decision as a silly 20-something who apparently thought money grew on trees! Plus, I met my husband at a game (and he surprised me by getting Slapshot the mascot to come to our wedding), so that’s a perk as well 🙂
- The two sports I ever tried to play in an organized league are soccer and basketball. Ironically, those are two of my least favorite sports to watch. I really wish I had pursued something I actually liked more when I was younger, but I really wanted to fit in when we moved to Virginia, and those were the sports my peers played, so…
- Continuing the sports theme, while hockey is my favorite to watch, baseball is a close second. Despite not having a home team in DC for the first 20 years of my life, I grew up on baseball. When I was a young teen, our summer vacations consisted of road trips to a handful of different MLB stadiums! There’s just something about the experience of a baseball game on a beautiful sunny day that absolutely nothing else in the sports world compares to.
- I hate washing my face if I’m not in the shower. I know, I’m a weirdo and it’s totally not good for my skin, but I usually just use makeup removing wipes. I feel like I always make a mess when I do a real face wash at the sink, and when I’m tired (aka all the time) it just takes too long!
- I go through crazy obsessive music phases. I really just love music in general, but I tend to hear a song I like, look up the artist on Spotify, and listen to their stuff on shuffle/repeat for days, weeks, or sometimes months straight. My latest obsession is Charlie Puth – I’d say it was probably mid-October when I started listening to his stuff on repeat, and I have to force myself to listen to something else. I loooooove his voice (that falsetto!!), he has perfect pitch which I think is super cool, and his songs are super fun to sing along with… but seeeeeeeriously, I need to branch out, haha! (If you haven’t heard it already, he released a song yesterday with Boyz II Men and I love it!)
- Speaking of music, I can actually sing, but I am really insecure about it and rarely sing by myself around other people. I know I’m not bad (thanks to other people telling me so), but I have awful stage fright. The one exception is karaoke… and only when I’ve had enough drinks to temporarily curb the stage fright 🙂 I really wish I had worked harder on improving my voice and music-reading skills when I was younger, because singing is one of the things I enjoy most in life, and I would have loved to make a career out of it.
- I am a little too into the whole A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones world. I got a Barnes and Noble gift card from a student a few years ago, and used it to buy the first 4 books. After reading the first book (which was a struggle at first because there are SO many characters and storylines), I figured I’d see what the hoopla was about with the show, and ordered the first season on DVD. I told my husband he’d probably like it, so we sat down and started watching… and the rest is history, haha. One of our dogs is even named Nymeria!
- When I start reading a new book (and like it), I can’t stop. I don’t read nearly as many books as I want to, because I’m afraid to start reading during the school week for fear of neglecting things like grading and sleep.
- I accumulate clutter like nobody’s business because I always think there’s a possibility I’m going to use/wear something again. I’m trying to work on this, but it’s hard and I get sentimental about things!
- I am a weird combination of a very logical/math person and a free-thinking/creative person. I am starting to really appreciate that about myself.
Okay, that’s it for now – I hope you enjoyed this and maybe even learned something new about me! Did anything surprise you?